Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tears of sorrow

"And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it, Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes." -Luke 19:41-44

Lazarus's death was not the only time that Jesus wept. He wept over the city of Jerusalem shortly before he was to be crucified. "If thou hadst known...the things which belong unto thy peace!" Jesus was crying tears of sorrow over Jerusalem because they wouldn't obey...they wouldn't turn from their sins and follow Him. He knew He could give them peace. He wanted that for them. He loved them dearly. But they wouldn't turn, and thus, he wept.

I think I sort of know how He was feeling. I know many people- some friends, some family members... some I care about deeply, some I barely even know (yet still, my heart hurts for)... who are making really bad decisions. Some need salvation. Some are saved, but won't give their lives to Christ and continue to rebel. I was there once. And I just want to scream at them "It's not worth it! Don't do it! Stay away from that!" I know what brings true contentment. I know what brings peace. And it's giving up your life to Jesus, completely surrendering and following Him. It's not easy... not at first. It takes dying to yourself. But it's the only way. I know what they could have....what joy, what contentment. God has been so merciful to me. I could be in such a worse position than I am now. Going out and partying, having sex, drinking.... well, we all know what serious consequences those things can have. I used to do it. I never thought I would end up doing some of the things that I did, and that's part of what scares me so much about the decisions that these people are making. They may not realize what they've gotten themselves into, until it's too late. God changed my life, and I am so thankful for the place I am at right now. I know what those choices bring, and I know what doing it right and living for God brings... and I want so badly to make these people realize that. I could have saved myself from so much pain, if I had learned earlier. And it's not just partying and drinking that can ruin someones life. That was just an example. They may not even be doing anything that society understands as having serious consequences. But if they're not following Jesus with all of their heart, they will never know the peace that He gives. And there will be consequences. There will be pain. The pain of not receiving God's blessings. The pain of eternal punishment, if they're not saved. The pain of knowing what they could have had.... and it makes me weep.

No comments:

Post a Comment